Saturday, December 10, 2005

Reversible Errors by Scott Turrow

I have decided that I will also write about the books I read on my blog, because it's my blog and I can do that! Well, more than half of the books I "read" are actually listened to using audible.com.

So I just got done listening to Reversible Errors, and I really enjoyed the story. The ending was somewhat predictable, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an enjoyable journey. I liked the characters and appreciated Turrow's ability to create well-rounded characters. None of the characters were all-good or all-bad. The only possible exception was - as wonderful a man as Arthur was, why did he always bomb with women?

Larry's battle with his total love (obsession?) for Muriel, yet dedication and love for his sons and his wife were very realistic. Also his wife's staying with him even after he didn't treat her that well, mainly because she had adopted his sons and could not bear to leave them, was realistic and that's the way people really do act.

Of all the characters, Muriel is the one I liked the least, just because she was the most motivated by self-interest regardless of who was hurt. But she was not a clear villain, either, as she did give info to Arthur that she could just as easily have hidden. But it was so cruel to out Gillian's herion addiction so that hers and Larry's mistakes would be covered up and she would win her bid as PA. And Larry was more willing to keep things secret, but yet he kept on chasing after the truth. I just like the way it all turned out, except that I hope Muriel follows the path towards honest human being that she has begun on. And of course, I'm glad things worked out between Arthur and Gillian, and even Susan!

I am now reading (listening to) 1776 by David McCullough and will write about that when I am done.

No comments: